Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Shrink Plastic Fun with Frou Frou Fabulous!

Hi, friends! Suzanne here with a tutorial about using your larger TGF stamps (like this month's new release "Frou Frou Fabulous") into shrink plastic charms! You can turn the charms into pins, pendants, or embellishments!


Here's a list of supplies for this project:



  • Shrink Plastic
  • Rubber Stamp (I'm using "Frou Frou Fabulous")
  • Permanent ink (like Staz-On)
  • coloring medium (I'm using Copics)
  • emery board or sandpaper
  • detail scissors
  • pin back


First, sand the shrink plastic. This will help prevent shifting when you stamp. It also helps the coloring medium to stay in place when you color.


Stamp your image on the sanded plastic, then flip the image over to color!


Now, color your image! There's no need to worry about shading or lots of details. Just keep in mind that when the image shrinks down, the colors will be a bit more intense.

(Permanent inks like Staz-On don't get along with alcohol-based markers, so it's better to color on the underside of the image. Since the plastic is almost clear after you sand it, you won't have trouble seeing where you're coloring.)


(I used E53 for the skin, YR23 for the hair, G43 and YG67 for the dress, and RV23 and RV29 for the headband and fan.)


After you color, trim the image from the plastic. If you plan to use the charm for a zipper pull or necklace, make sure to cut/punch a hole at the top. It will be much harder to punch a hole after the image shrinks down, and your charm might crack.

Use your heat tool to shrink the image, and make sure you're using a heat resistant surface. Your shrink plastic will probably come with instructions or other methods of shrinking the image, so feel free to adapt this part to your project. (I've found it's helpful to use a wooden dowel to keep the plastic from curling, but it will still curl as it shrinks, especially if you're using the heat tool method.)


For this project, I glued a pin backing to the underside of the charm. The pin that I used had a white foam tape backing, but I removed that and used a strong glue to adhere the pin to the back of the charm.

If you're using the charm as a zipper pull or pendant, sealing the back of the charm will help. Some possibilities are crystal glaze or glitter glue, but don't be afraid to use what works best for you and your project!

Here's a picture of the pendant I made with "Frou Frou Birthday" for last month's "Anything Goes" challenge:

I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial! If you play with TGF stamps and shrink plastic, link up what you've made! We'd love to see it!

Thanks so much for stopping by today! Hope you're having a wonderful week so far!

Hugs,

7 comments:

gobeagirl said...

Hi Suzanne, I just had to stop and tell you how much I loved this tutorial. Where do you get your shrink materials and what brand is it? I made one a very long time ago and I don't have any anymore. Plus at the time I didn't own any Staz'on ink, so You really can't see the imagine as well as I'd like. I keep her tied to my favorite ribbon scissors just so no one uses them for anything. lol..Anyway, I really love that you made this tutorial. I am going to find some shrink film and give it a go once again. Thank you. Hugs, Lisa G

Larelle-Susanne Thoms said...

great share! I want to try this idea. hugs

frommycraftroom said...

Thank you for your tutorial. Have bookmarked it so I can come back and look again!

Blankina said...

Love this tutorial!! Thanks for sharing, I have done some but the colour did not remain well, no I see I had to "sand" it first. Hope Memento ink is fine too??
Must try again,
Hugs Blankina
Will pin it onto my tutorial board,
thanks again great inspiration

Denice said...

What a fun tutorial and with a teeny tiny frou-frou! TFS!
:Dxx

Suzanne Bier said...

I picked up the shrink plastic at a craft store. I've seen it at the big box craft stores, like Michaels. It's sold under the "Shrinky Dinks" name, but the brand I have is Grafix.

I haven't tried it with Memento ink yet, but when I do, I'll let you all know!

Thanks for all of the comments! Glad y'all enjoyed the tutorial!

Suzanne :)

Nicola Crowe said...

Some great tips, I have used shrink plastic before but never knew about sanding first or colouring on the opposite side, now I know why it did colour in as well as I'd of liked lol, TFS :)