Thursday, September 12, 2013

Chalkboard Technique Tutorial

Hey there, Farm friends! It's Farmer Thanh here bringing you today's post. I hope your week is going by really quickly. I know I'm looking forward to the weekend!

I've had a couple of you asking me to do a tutorial on the chalkboard technique from my last Frou Frou card and I figured that I should share. I kind of freehand everything so I hope that my instructions are easy to follow.


To achieve the chalkboard look, you need the following supplies:


  1. Black cardstock 
  2. An embossing buddy
  3. White embossing powder
  4. Heat gun
  5. Sentiment stamps and/or focal image 
  6. Versamark
  7. White pigment ink 
  8. White pencil
  9. Ruler
  10. Ink sponge
  11. Copic marker(s) - optional; for adding color


1. I always lay down my focal image first and then start placing the sentiments around it. You want to ink up your stamps with Versamark and then sprinkle down with white embossing powder.


2. Keep laying down those sentiments to accessorize your focal image and then use your heat gun at the end to set the embossing powder.


3. After heat setting everything, go back in and stamp all those sentiments/images with white ink. It's okay to offset everything slightly as this gives the chalkboard a more realistic look. (You'll see that I skipped a step ahead and started highlighting some areas using a pink Copic marker)


4. I prefer drawing a white border around my focal image to give it a framed look.


5. Of course chalkboard needs chalk dust! Go back in with a sponge or paper towel and smudge/ink up around your images/sentiments. Be careful not to smudge your actual image; you'll want to use a light hand.


6. I wanted a darker pink so I went back and colored over my pink areas again.


7. I then trimmed down my black cardstock and matted it onto pink cardstock.


Here's my finalized card! Sweet and simple.

Any questions, please contact me through my blog or you can add them to the comments.

Thanks for droppin' by the Farm today!

<3 Thanh

TGF Stamps used: Royal Cutie Pies, Lucky Bunnies

8 comments:

Larelle-Susanne Thoms said...

great share, I so want to try this sometime! Hugs Larelle-Susanne

Blankina said...

I did ask for a tutorial,thanks for showing us your chalkboard technique.
I would like to try this.Just check if I have everything..Will share this on pinterest.
Hugs Blankina

Blankina said...

I did ask for a tutorial,thanks for showing us your chalkboard technique.
I would like to try this.Just check if I have everything..Will share this on pinterest.
Hugs Blankina

Grandma Bonnie said...

Thanh, thank you for taking the time to share your tutorial..this will be so fun to do! I didn't think about coloring the embossed areas with Copics..so smart!

~amy~ said...

a-dorable! My fav technique right now...your card is super sweet with the pops of pink!

Hilda Han said...

Super cute lah! Thanks for sharing!

Thanh Vo said...

Thanks ladies!!!

Yes, Blankina, you did ask me and I hope to see your creation(s) soon! Make sure you tag me or send me an email to let me know. :)

RiNNE said...

Thanh, this is AMAZING!!!! I love it!!!! Thank you!