Thursday, May 16, 2013

Let's Make More Flowers!

Hello!  Annie here today.  Did you see Suzanne's awesome tutorial yesterday showing how to make flowers using coffee filters?  Such a great idea! I've already gathered my supplies to try it out.
 
Today, I'm going to show you how to make another 3-D flower using the TGF "Mini Fleurs Die".
 
 
To get started, die cut 8 flower shapes with the "Mini Fleurs Die".
 
I like to make mine out of old book-page paper because it looks cool and it's thin enough to cut multiple shapes at one time.  I cut 8 small squares of paper, placed the die on top, and ran it through my die-cutting machine.
 
 
Next, ink around the petals.  You can do this with any ink, in any color.
 
 
Once the edges are inked, lightly spray the flowers with water.  The thin book paper only needs a tiny bit of water.  You want just enough to soften the paper fibers.  The thin paper also curls when it gets wet; it's fun to watch... they look like little caterpillars wriggling around.  :)
 
 
When the flowers are wet, carefully scrunch each one into a little ball.  Not too tight, though. Since the paper is wet, it can rip easily.  If you use thicker paper, it won't be as fragile.
 
 
Carefully open each scrunched flower and flatten slightly.
Layer all 8 flowers into one pile and punch a small hole right in the center.
 
 
Fasten a small brad through the center hole to hold the flowers together.
 
 
You will then take each single layer and scrunch it together in the center of the flower.  The first layer you scrunch will end up being the center of the flower, so do that one slightly tighter than the rest.
 
Then continue turning and scrunching each remaining layer up into the center until you have a tightly scrunched flower.
 
 
Then carefully start to spread each layer out to make the final shape.  I just use my fingernails to slightly separate the scrunched layers and turn it around until it looks just right.
 
 
You can then add more ink around the edges if you want more vibrant color, or leave it as is. Since the paper was slightly wet, it will hold its scrunched shape when it dries.  I like to use my heat-tool to quickly dry the flower.
 
Now you've got a perfect little 3-D flower to add to your projects!
 
 
For this card, I used the same book-page paper and I inked it with green Distress Ink to match the color scheme.  I think it looks awesome!
 
I hope you'll give it a try -- I'd love to see some 3-D and coffee filter flowers on your next TGF projects.  We'll see you here again tomorrow for a new Farm Fresh Friday challenge!
 
Luvs,
Annie Rose
 
 


4 comments:

frommycraftroom said...

Lovely. Thanks for sharing your technique.

Mojca said...

Great tutorial, thank you for sharing. hugs! Mojca

Christina Flora said...

oh I really love this technique! Can't wait to try it! Adding the brad to keep it all together seems really easy and dummy-proof!

Leanne said...

Awesome tutorial!!