Monday, January 14, 2013

Hair Coloring Tutorial by Rosie!

Happy Monday to all you TGF Fans!!! As many of you know, the CHA (Craft and Hobby Association) Convention started on Saturday in Anaheim, California and of course, The Greeting Farm is there to showcase all the new stuff coming out soon!! If you've been following our Facebook page then you've seen some of the pics from CHA, but just in case you missed it, here are a couple!
And here's Jessica and Peggy!!

We are doing something different on Monday's for the month of January so I hope you come back each Monday to see what's in store for ya!!

It's Rosie here today to share a hair coloring tutorial with you. I get asked quite a lot about how I color hair so I thought I'd finally get brave and share my first ever tutorial!! There are lots of pics so grab a cup of coffee before ya start so you don't nod off in the middle, okay?

Today I'll be working with one of our new releases called Awareness Anya. For my brunette colors I almost always use E49, E47, and E44.
 The first thing you want to do is practice your "flicking" so you get a feel for it. Some people start from the bottom and flick upwards and some start at the top and pull downwards. For me it depends on my marker. Sometimes I do use both techniques. With practice, you'll find the one that works best for you.
 I always start with my darkest color, which is different from most people. I also like to start with the middle part first and flick from the bottom outwards with a light stroke. You'll want to lighten your pen stroke as you push the marker outward to get the fine line at the end.
 I also like to turn my image as I'm working. So when I started on the other side of the part I turned the image and completed the same "flicking" steps.
 As I'm working I try to think where I want the highlights to be in her hair. Then I lay down more E49 on the sides, flicking upwards at first and drawing my lines toward the middle.
 Then I flick downward so there's not a harsh line from the marker.
 This picture shows where I laid down E49.
 Next, I came in with E47 and extended the lines outward to fill in some of the highlight areas.
 Here, you can see all of my E47 laid down.
Finally, I come back in with my lightest color, E44.
 I lightly flick my marker from both directions to fill in the white areas. I do try to leave small skinny white spaces to add to the "highlights".
 Here's the end result! You can see that there are just a few white areas in between the flicks of marker.

I hope you enjoyed my first ever tutorial!! If you have any questions feel free to leave them in the comment section and I'll get back to you.

Have a great week and see you back here tomorrow for Double Take Tuesday!!

Hugs,
Rosie :)

19 comments:

Leanne said...

Awesome!! Congrats on your first tutorial! This was terrific!
:)

kim.scrapper said...

Amazing, it is quite a feat to get hair to look that good but I will continue to practice, tfs

Amy said...

Love the tutorial. Thanks for it!

I really need to practice my flicking before jumping into an image to color. I just haven't gotten hair perfected like you yet. :)

Pamela said...

Great great job on your first tutorial. Well done!!!!!

Blankina said...

Great tutorial...I might want to try this to...

Hugs Blankina

Rene said...

Love it Rosie!!!
Rene ;D

Jenn Borjeson said...

What a GREAT tutorial on coloring hair - you are making me want to go buy all of the hair-colored Copics (and I'm a pencil girl!). hee hee :) Great job!

Kim Nath said...

Great tutorial on hair. This method looks easier than most I have seen.

Kim Nath said...

Great tutorial on hair. This method looks easier than most I have seen.

cebelica said...

This tutorial is FANTASTIC!!!

Niedlichstempler said...

I can´t believe, this is your first tutorial!!! It´s SO amazing!! Thanks for it ;-)

Angela Stiver said...

Great tutorial, thank you!

Cami said...

Excellent tutorial! Thank you for taking the time to do this. For me, it's easier with a pictorial and I don't have to take notes as I do when watching a video!

kimberlyann207 said...

Awesome tutorial! Thank you so much for posting it! Learning to color hair has been a huge PIA for me ... I'm sure your tutorial will help :) thanks again, Kimberly

Janine said...

Very helpful - thanks

Bärbel Born said...

The first hair tutorial I really like. Thanks for sharing! Baerbel

Peggy K said...

Great tutorial! You've given me a little confidence to play a little more with my Copics.

Brenda said...

Fabulous tutorial!

OneHappyCraftyChick said...

I think I can see where I'm making some of my mistakes. One, I'm an impatient flicker and start doing full on lines rather than flicks. Two, I don't like to leave any white space and end up filling everything in. So I don't have highlights, the colors all just blend together. I need to be ok with some white space!!! Thank you SO MUCH!!!!