Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday: Felt Embellishments with Border Dies

Hi!  Showcase Farmer Eva here with my very first post on TGF's blog!  I'm so excited to bring you today's tutorial.  But before I start, thank you everyone so much for the wonderful welcome and the sweet comments.  We appreciate it so much!

Well, onto the tutorial.  It's kind of photo heavy so hope you'll bear with me.  This is kind of an extension to a tutorial I did some time ago on my personal blog using felt and dies to make your own embellishments.  See HERE if you're interested in seeing that original post.  But that got me to wondering what other kinds of embellishments I could create with felt and different border dies.  So I experimented and came up with the samples below.

This is basically how I created all of these felt embellishments.  First, cut your felt with your border die.  In this case, I am using felt from Papertrey Ink and a Magnolia Doohickey border die.  When I cut felt with my Big Shot, I use a shim but nothing fancy.  It's just a piece of scrap Papertrey Ink cardstock.  The shim helps to give it a cleaner cut.

Then sew through the felt like above and pull both ends of the thread til it looks like the photo below and tie a knot.  

My daughter didn't like this one much but after I dressed it up a bit (see my card below) she thought it was pretty!

How fitting that the wave die would make such a cute starfish!  This will show up on one of my cards later!

Maybe add a little button or rhinestone in the middle?

I thought this one was sweet!  It may look familiar if you have seen my card for the latest TGF sketch on Splitcoaststampers.

The most flower-like.  This is similar to what I created in my original tutorial.

My daughter thought this one looked funky but I thought it was fun.  What if it was the center to my orange flower from above?

And add a little button or rhinestone or pearl?

This is sweet Blush Bettie from July's release.  The orange felt embellishments were created from the Doohickey border dies.  After I added the flowers in the middle, my daughter loved it!  Ha! 

I love to think of different ways to use my dies instead of just its intended purpose.  So, I hope you'll give this a try.  It didn't take me too long to just play around with these.  I basically stuck with one color felt except that pink one and took out a variety of border dies.  I'm not an experienced sewer.  If you can do that simple basic stitch, you can make these embellishments too!  Oh, and I used 2 strands of embroidery floss as my thread to sew.  I made a few and now have a small stash of these to put on my cards!

Thanks so much for reading!

12 comments:

Cheryl said...

Neat flowers! They all turned out so cool! Love that you tried it with even the grass border! Great tutorial Showcase Farmer Eva!

Rebekah Wiebe said...

Super idea. I love this. Rebekah

Kim C said...

This is a very clever idea indeed. If only I had so much patience. Hahaha. Love all the flowers you made.

SARA said...

wow ;)

Annie Rose said...

Awesome! I've made flowers like this before, by cutting out each individual shape/petal and it takes FOREVER. I LOVE the thought of using my scallop border die!

Thank you for this awesome tip! :)

Luvs,
Annie Rose

Lisa said...

Wow! I never knew that dies other than the Sizzix Originals and Bigz could cut out fabric. I've just started buying some of these little metal dies (mostly C.C. Cutters) and am definitely going to give this a try!

PaperPixie said...

This is such a clever idea! I will totally have to try that!

stamptopy said...

Thank you for such a great idea! Best regards,
eva

Maureen said...

You are just too creative - what a great idea!! TFS!

Heidi Brawley said...

WOW this was a GREAT tutorial!! Thanks for the inspiration!!
hugs,Heidi

RiNNE said...

Super cute, Eva! Very creative!

Gwen's Busy Little Hands said...

Great use of those border dies. Love the results.