Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday: Crinkle Distressing

Hi everyone! Samantha here & I've got a tutorial for you!

I'll admit it. . . when it comes to NOT coloring an image, I get stumped!! When I see a lined image, the first thing that comes to mind is coloring, but coloring takes some time. I wanted to show you how to make a quicker card by cutting out the coloring with this easy crinkle distressing technique. 

For my project, I used the adorable Princess #4. She is so sweet and I thought she would be the perfect fit for my soft vintage style project.

First, I tested out some different paper/ink combos. for the first image I used brown ink with pink paper. For the second, I used brown paper with brown ink. For the last image, I used vintage white ink on kraft cardstock. I chose the pink image for my tutorial, but any combo would work with this same easy technique.

I cut out the image and then tore the paper around the edges for a worn look.

To continue making the image worn, I crumpled it up! I know AHHH! It looks so sad all crinkled up in the photo below:

Next, I smoothed the image back out a bit. . .

 And then added some brown ink using an inking tool.

Then I created the rest of my card using soft colors & distressing techniques to make the whole card look worn and soft. I inked around the edges of the pink card base. Then I used an edge distressing tool to rough up the edges. I got my edge distressing tool for like $1 at my local crafting store. It looks like an Xacto blade inside a plastic handle and all you do is run the blade part across the edge of the paper.

I used some 3d foam dots to raise the image up a little but and I left the edges loose so that the image wouldn't go completely flat on the front of the card. I wanted the crinkles to have some dimension.

Here is a look at the finished card:

And that's it! This project was a pretty quick and easy one to do. I am sure you could take this technique and find many uses for it.  Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

Blankina said...

GREAT SAMANTHA, THANKS FOR SHARING...LOVE THIS EFFECT ON YOUR CARD.
YESTERDAY I HAVE FINALLY RECEIVED MY NEW TGF STAMPS FROM THE MAY RELEASE!!( AFTER 1 MONTH!!!VERY SLOW POST...).
DID NOT GET THE PRINCESS BUT CHEEKY GEEKY AND CC RILEY.
CIAO BLANKINA

Jenn Borjeson said...

Very cute, what a great idea!

MaRyKaY said...

that is awesome. I would have never been able to come up with something like that. I really love this technique and will give it a try thanks for turning us on to this and have a great week. cant wait to see what's next