Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday: Choosing colors

Hello there Crafty Friends!  This is Larisa here and today I have a quick little tutorial on how to choose colors to match your patterned papers.  While I'm certainly no expert, I thought I would show you how to choose copic colors and how to keep track of those colors for quick card-making. 

In order to do this, you will need some coordinating patterned paper, a copic color chart, copic markers, and a pen.  (I'm going to show you this tutorial using copic markers, but be aware that it will work for virtually any coloring medium such as prisma colors, inks, etc.) 


Step #1:  Take an inventory of your copic markers by printing off a copic coloring chart and coloring in the boxes of the markers you have. If you have not already done this, I HIGHLY recommend it!  It's so helpful when choosing colors to go with your papers and stamps and it will also keep you from purchasing the same color twice :) You can find these color charts all over the internet.  Just google: Copic Color Chart or click here to print one.  Be sure to print your chart on copic friendly paper and with copic friendly ink.  Personally, I like to print mine with a laser printer.  Once it's printed and dry, all you do is color in the squares with the correct color or maker. 


Step #2: Next, choose your patterned paper.  I really lake to use 6X6 or 8X8 paper pads because they're the perfect size for cardmaking and you get a wide variety of patterns that are all in the same color family.  This means that I don't have to spend time picking out papers that match, it's already been done for me.  These pads often come "glued" together like a notepad with a cover on the front...we'll use that part in a minute... 
Once you've chosen your paper, lay it next to your chart and try to match it to one of the colors you have filled in on your chart.  You may not be able to match it exactly, but try to come as close as possible. 



I like to choose at least two or three colors that come close to the color on the patterned paper...one light, one medium, and one dark. This will make it easier to shade. 


Step #3: Once you have chosen two or three colors in the same family, flip open the cover to your patterned paper pad and write the names of the colors in a row on the white space.  Then use your marker to color a little box next to the correct color so you can see what it looks like. 

 

Step#4: Repeat Steps #2 and #3 until you have chosen colors for all the major colors in the patterned paper pad.  You will probably have any where from 5 to 15 different colors depending on how many different colors are used on your patterned paper. 


Step #5: Now that you have your list and some color samples that match your paper, you are ready to start coloring your image.  Just use those same colors that you put on the cover of your paper pad.  Then create your card.  Chances are, you won't use all the paper on that one project and you will be able to use that paper pad again and again to create cards.  But now you've already done the work so when you decide to use that paper again a week or a month from now, all you have to do is pull out the pad, flip open the cover and pull out the correct copic colors that go with that paper!  Isn't that great?  Seriously, this has worked so well for me and has saved me a ton of time so I hope you try it and it saves you time too! 
Thanks so much for joining me for another fabulous Tutorial Tuesday!  Have a great week!

Hint:  If you don't have paper pads, you can store your paper in zip lock bags and use a piece of white cardstock to list the colors that go with that paper.  You can also paperclip the white cardstock to your patterned papers. 

7 comments:

Pöydän kulmalla näpertelijä said...

I do match my markers to the papers I'm using but never thought I could include a list with each paper pad to save me from doing the matching everytime. Such a simple and useful tip. Thanks.

Suzi McKenzie said...

That is such a cool idea to attach a list of colours to each paper pad, what a neat way of making colour matching easy.
hugs
Suzi

mousekemom said...

What a great idea! I always have to go back and look for matching paper after I colored the image. Can't wait to try it! Thanks.

Shazza said...

great idea x

Brenda said...

This has to be one of the best tips I have ever heard. Thank you I will doing this!!!

gobeagirl said...

Hi Larisa, I have to tell you that I too love my 6x6 paper pads. I have also had my Copic color chart since my first Copic. lol.. Before I picked out my favorite cs to color on (Neenah) I had printed out all the different kinds and labled them so that I would know want cs made the Copics look like what. Anyway, I just wanted to share with you that I love your idea of using the pad's cover to put your already decided colors on. I have always stored my pads in a zip lock so that I wouldn't loose a single left over. lol.. Now, thanks to you I will so be going thru them all to add your idea to them. I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing with us. I think you really have come up with a so simple, but most looked over idea and I for one an going to have a ball added my list to each pad. :O) Hugs, Lisa G

Geraldine said...

love your idea of putting the matching colours on the packaging, such a time saver.