Friday, July 22, 2011

Heart Journaling: Week 1

Good morning class!!!! First off, WOWWW we have over 100 participants! OK! Our super fun and creative journey starts today! Over the course of 23 weeks we will be working on an art journal spread every week. Each week will have a different theme/concept. Remember that this is your own personal journey so please do not feel that you have to create a certain way. This is to help you open up creative mind, to try new methods or techniques that you've never tried before, and just basically step out of your comfort zone.

OH and please check to see if your name folder is in our classroom roster: http://www.tgfllc.com/galleria/showgallery.php?cat=1173 if you do not see it, please contact us at thegreetingfarm@gmail.com so we can add it in or make any changes.

Before we go on, I'd like to address a few concerns:

Not necessary to use any TGF stamps, this is YOUR journal, do what you want cuz you rule that journal!


How does this work: Every Friday for the next 23 weeks we will be posting up a new concept for you to work on your art journal spread. All spreads are due the following Thursday by noon cst. We start marking off assignments by 12:30pm cst so please make sure you get it in on time so we can credit you. By the end of 23 weeks, all who has completed every assignment on time will be getting a special gift.

DUE DATES: Very important! If you are unsure if you will be able to upload on time, please upload your assignments earlier in the week than the very last minute like 11:59pm. Better too early than too late. If you cannot upload or miss the deadline for whatever reason, your project may not be accounted for. Because there are so many participants we have to be super strict on the deadline. Otherwise we'll have dozens of people emailing us with reasons why they were late or something was wrong or dog ate their pages, etc. The minute 12:30pm cst hits, we will start marking off and reviewing assignments in the gallery, no buts about it.

Make-Up pages: I received a few emails regarding missed weeks and making up spreads. Unfortunately because there are over a hundred spreads for us to review each week, we won't be able to count any missed work. If you miss a deadline or week, you can always go back on your own time and work on it but it will not be accounted for.


Dropping Out: If you find you don't really have the time for this or that this isn't your 'thing', you may drop out anytime no questions asked.

Supplies: Many of you asked what supplies you needed to participate. There is no 'official list' of supplies but I compiled a small list of stuff would be helpful although not necessary. I don't want you to feel that if you do not have a certain product or media that you cannot work on your spread. Working with what you have onhand is probably the best and more convenient process. Please do not go out and break you bank on a million different coloring medias unless you really want to. Chances are you probably already have a lot of supplies that you can work with. So here are some items that I think can be handy but not necessary. Mostly you'd just need your imagination.

List of Possible supplies -
acrylic paints
watercolors
pastels
permanent marker
crayons
copics
charcoal
some sort of waterproof pen
fabric/canvas
glitter
old magazine scraps
old photos
gesso, soft gel medium, or any other medium
stickers
glue

More than anything I hope that our journey together will help open up the world of art journaling to you and I hope that you are doing this more for your own personal creative resume rather than for the prize at the end. Even if you miss a week or two, I still hope you continue to work in your journal 'just because'. This project is you being true to you. Besides if you are really only just working to get the gift at the end, what if the gift was really lame. So in reality, your true gift/prize is your completed or 'in progress' art journal! :)

Ok enough babbling, here we go with our first week! and a few of some beautiful art journal covers from our participants....

by April Davis
By Mari Hirvonen
By Lynda Nielsen

By Eva and Haley


 By Candice and Jeremy Stout

By Laura Boyd

-------------------------------


WEEK 1 - Spread Your Wings

Assignment: Create a free-spirit spread (two-pages) using the concept of wings. This could be butterflies, airplanes, angels, birds...etc. Use any stamps you want, colors, etc. Not necessary to use any TGF stamps, this is YOUR journal, do what you want cuz you rule that journal!

Tip: If you're a generally neat person, try being a little messy. If you're messy, try a cleaner simpler layout. Try something that makes you almost a little uneasy... haha.

Due: Thursday July 28th no later than 12:00 pm noon cst. We start marking off assignments by 12:30 pm cst. Late uploads will not be accounted for. If you cannot make the deadline, please upload your assignments early. Please upload your photo into your folder http://www.tgfllc.com/galleria/showgallery.php?cat=1173.

Inspiration found on the web:







Now go and create to your hearts content!!!

28 comments:

Sammi said...

Yipee! How exciting! Can't wait to get going now :) those covers look awesome! :)
Sammi
Xxx

Cecilia Reyes said...

Thank you, I really love this!!! I'm going to get some wings... By the way the due date is 28 right?

My Scrap Diary said...

Yay!! Awesome inspiration pieces and love the theme of wings.
Robin and I are very excited to get started!!
Jess M :)

Bernice said...

Hi. Looking forward to this. I have registered with the forum but it is not obvious to me how to upload a photo. Please could you explain?

Jenn Borjeson said...

I am SO excited about this - I've had an art journal wrapped in plastic for over a year now. I've been so afraid to bust it out and get working on it, but this is making me less uneasy and more confident. :) Thank you!

CraftyMomOf2 said...

SO excited!!! Can't wait!

~*Joni said...

Eeek! I'm squirming in my seat because this is making me uneasy - and I love it! Thanks Marie! This is the reason why I scurried to get the craft room together after our move. Otherwise it would still all be in boxes. lol!

Denice said...

I love all the journal covers!

I can't wait to get started our first assignment...WINGS! Who would have thought that learning could be so much fun?!! LOL?!!

Shelley said...

Oh this is great! I wish I would have seen the sign up. I just started an art journal last week. Still going to follow along!

Yanitza said...

Can't wait to start! But July 18th? Don't you mean the 28th?

Steph said...

This looks like so much fun! Is it too late to join the class? I would love to be a part of it.

Laura B said...

I'm so excited to get started!!! Thank you so much for featuring my journal cover along with so many gorgeous covers!:)

hugs,
Laura

Gwen's Busy Little Hands said...

Okay, here we go. I'm feeling so intimidated by this process...hope I can finally get over that. Love the featured covers, such inspiration.

Smiles!
Gwen

Shazza said...

wow, Just as well I'm on holiday next week cos I haven't even got my journal yet!! Won't be able to start til Monday night. Really looking forward to this because I love seeing other people's art journals and always wanted to try it. Love the pics and also the inspiration
x

Shaela said...

Yay!! So excited to get started!! :)

Pippa (pjbear) said...

Hi, just wondered if we'll need 2 pages for each week? Need to know as I'm making my own journal

Donna said...

I'd love to join in!! I've sent off an email request and I have signed up on the forum. Am I too late??? If so I'll still following along, looks like fun!!

Kellie said...

WOW they are all soooooo amazing I can't wait to start! What to do what to do!

Hugs Kellie xx

artescrap by diana said...

Hi! I´m so excited!!! but I can´t see the gallery to check my file. Can you give me the link again please?

Pippa (pjbear) said...

I've completed my front & back covers (inside & out) http://pjbear-determinedscrapper.blogspot.com/2011/07/heart-journal-2011.html

Carla aka scrappypug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
artescrap by diana said...

Hi! I´m not in the gallery and I sent my subscription since july 17,
What can I do?? I´m memeber in the forum already but I still don´t have my own gallery. :( Thank you

diana7445@hotmail.com

RiNNE said...

:( I didn't read the rules exactly and ended up doing just one page instead of two. Hope this is ok for the first project. My book is 11 x 17 so I'm hoping you'll let it slide :) as it may count for two pages??

Myrna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Myrna said...

Hello!
fails to register but still try to follow every week:), I leave the link to my blog with my version of the first week ...

http://myrnahd.blogspot.com/2011/07/heart-journaling-with-tgf-semana-1.html

greetings!

Sorry, my English is not good, I use the google translator

HolyScrap said...

im unable to load my pictures....can any
one help!!??

www.holyscrap123@yahoo.com

April said...

I stopped back in to say that my layout didn't quite match the idea in my head, but by spreading my wings, I tried some of those things on my desk that I just had to have....

April said...

I should have also mention that I left my covers blank, in hopes of adding a little something each week.