Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Art Journaling Blush Style

Hey everyone! Jen here!! I can't tell you how happy I am to have this very special opportunity to be back with you this month as a Guest Farmer. I was thrilled beyond belief when Jess approached me about this!  :) I'm back this month to not only share card samples with you using TGF stamps but also a few more mixed media applications with these new gorgeous Blush stamps that will be on sale July 1!

For my first alternative project I have made an art journal. I know you've seen a few of these already in the previews as a couple of other Farmers have some in the previews but I wanted to touch a little on what an art journal is just in case anyone was wondering. To me an art journal is a wonderful extension of stamping that lets you explore. It's in it's simplest form a sketch book where you record your thoughts and experiments with different media. It's wonderful because it's private and you don't have to share it with anyone unless you want to and it just lets you be creative. It's a great place to push yourself without worrying about the results and then when you get a page that is really wonderful you can share it!

Now here's what I've made for you today:


This is a two page spread in my art journal and the finished size is very close to 12" x 9". My challenge for myself on this page was to use as many stamping supplies as I could without over doing it on extra artist media that stampers might not have. The only supplies that I used that are traditional artist media are gesso, a black and a white charcoal pencil, a painting stencil and iridescent medium (which could be substituted with Perfect Pearls or Glimmer Mist). Everything else came directly from my stamping stash. (Please forgive these photos, I need to take a photo outside for this and it was dark by the time I had this completed.)


Firstly I used the new Blush Society Bonnie and Babette stamped in Memento Black in on linen coverstock paper. I colored both images with Copics and then cut them out with scissors. In my background I used a load of Distress Inks, the Blush Heart and Blush Hello along with the butterfly wings from the Spotlight Kit (stamped in white). I used clear embossing powder randomly around the background to give it some shine and texture. It stuck wonderfully to the Distress Ink as well as the Memento Ink throughout the pages. 


I stamped the sentiment using Stazon Timber Brown using individual letters and outlined them with black and white charcoal pencil. After Babette and Bonnie were glued down I outlined them also with charcoal and smudged it with a q-tip. I applied the irirdescent medium here and there around the page with my finger to give it a little shine and then added one more layer of stenciling with Faded Denim and a sponge and I was finished. :)

I hope this gives you some new ideas on how you can use these AMAZING Blush stamps to create mixed media cards and projects without having to buy a ton of 'artist' media. I'm written out the steps of making this in a little more detail on my blog if you are interested in taking a look (it made for a really long post so I put it over there. :) ) Have a great Wednesday!! See you tomorrow for ANOTHER fabulous preview!!!

9 comments:

Sammi said...

wowsers.. this is GORGEOUS!! I just love it... can't stop looking at it!
I'm inspired to start an art journal again!!
Sammi
xx

Maria Therese said...

Wooooooooooooow!! Love everything about this!!!!

Naomi said...

Jen, this is STUNNING!

Yanitza said...

How adorable! And thanks for explaining all the process! Can't wait to start working on my art journal and try out these techniques myself :-)

margie c said...

Oh Jen! Your journal page is amazing! This would look beautiful in a frame! Very inspiring! I'm so happy that I will be doing a bit of shopping today to pick up a few supplies, you've moved me! Thank you :)

Carla aka scrappypug said...

absolutely gorgeous! Love the colors.

Gwen's Busy Little Hands said...

This is wonderful! I love how the different supplies work so well together. The black and white charcoal outlining on your stamped sentiment is fantastic!

Smiles!
Gwen

Denice said...

Jen, this is beautiful...such a great job and oooooh, I love the fairy wings!!!

Shazza said...

WOW!!!!!!